Do you have affinity with Operational Due Diligence (“ODD”) and are you willing to step out of your comfort zone? We have a vacancy for a junior 1st line Risk Manager Operational Due Diligence.
We are looking for an analytical thinker, preferably with some relevant working experience (up to 3 years), and are particularly interested in candidates with affinity in digitalization in a broad sense. If you can combine analytical thinking with a pragmatic approach and the ability to apply a helicopter view yet have an eye for detail, then we would love to hear your story!
The position is based in Amsterdam and requires frequent collaboration with portfolio managers across all asset classes and office locations (Amsterdam, Hong Kong and New York) as well as with counterparts within the 2nd line Risk department. The position will require the flexibility to travel globally on a frequent basis (~15% varying to one day (Europe) or multiple days (USA and Asia).
Introduction to the 1st line ODD Desk:
The portfolio managers and 1st line ODD Desk together constitute the 1st line ODD function, with each having their responsibilities and hence fulfilling a specific role. The portfolio managers are responsible for the identification and management of all risks, including financial, operational and reputation risks as they pertain to the outsourcing of investment strategies. As such they are also the owners of the ODD opinions as to be formally expressed on business partners to which investment strategies are (being) outsourced. The 1st line ODD Desk acts as a the center of expertise to support and facilitate the portfolio managers in their ODD efforts, which constitutes of the following responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining the overall ODD policy framework.
- Perform operational due diligences (either initial or periodic diligences) on external investment managers or focused APG-internal business areas in light of the mandating of internal strategies.
- Providing global support to all portfolio managers within APG AM, as complementary specialist advisors, by performing peer reviews on the ODD reports produced by the portfolio managers.
- Performing background checks on business partners to which investment strategies are (being) outsourced.
The desk is integrated in the Global Business Management CIO team, residing under the Managing Director Global Business Management CIO who reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer of APG AM.
Introduction to the Junior Risk Manager Operational Due Diligence role:
You will be one of the members (i.e. ODD specialists) of the 1st line ODD Desk, in which role your are expected to work closely together with the other team members. Proactiveness is a prerequisite to work in our team. You will start working alongside the senior team members on specific assignments, and gradually be encouraged to start working in a largely self-propelling manner. To that end you will be facilitated to learn on the job by frequently assisting the other team members in their ODD efforts. Assessment of the external managers’ IT environment is becoming an increasingly important item in ODD’s. Ideally, your affinity with digitalization will complement the team’s skillset in this respect.
In addition, our organization has embarked on an ambitious multi-year digitalization journey. To that end we expect that your expertise in data and digital technologies will help us in digitalizing and thereby strengthening our internal processes.
In order to fulfill the role of Junior Risk Manager Operational Due Diligence you are expected to possess:
- Ability to learn expediently, that should be reflected by the ability to swiftly:
- acquire a broad understanding of the business of APG AM, its investment strategies, products and processes
- master the skill to translate investment strategies and products into the concept of operational risks
- progress from a valuable contributor to a self propelling professional and innovator
- Problem solving skills, characterized by the ability to:
- apply a helicopter view by default, yet have an eye for detail
- discern between facts and opinions
- focus on identification of (operational) risks while at the same take a pro-active stance to suggesting solutions to reduce the risks
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (predominantly English):
- act as an interlocutor for representatives of the various portfolio management teams as well as participate in the discussions with external manager representatives during ODD onsite meetings
- form an independent opinion and willingness to challenge
- convince on a well informed basis and remain tenacious without being perceived as being opinionated
Furthermore the following job requirements are relevant:
- You have an academic degree in economics, finance, business information management, business administration or an equivalent qualification.
- Preferably you have affinity with IT and digital competencies or some relevant working experience in these areas (up to 3 years).
An excellent command of the English language (both verbally and in writing). Command of the Dutch language is considered as a positive feature.